The Prior Award, aimed at pupils in Year 5 and 6, is designed to provide enrichment and challenges beyond the curriculum, transforming the learning experience of pupils and providing life and leadership skills.
Held in an after school club, the Prior Award encourages pupils to develop:
- Life skills
- Self-esteem in the face of adversity
- A positive and knowledgeable response towards personal health and wellbeing
- Social skills, by learning to cooperate with and respect the needs of others
- Practical problem-solving skills
- Teamwork skills
- An understanding of the need for sustainable relationships between people and their environment
- Responsibility for their actions
- Personal horizons through greater appreciation and understanding of the world and people around them
The Prior Award course consists of a series of activities enabling the children to build a portfolio of achievements leading to Bronze, Silver or Gold awards. Assessment is ongoing throughout each unit and pupils are encouraged to evaluate their own performance. For each unit, participants are awarded points for:
- Listening and contribution
- Team work
It is important to ensure that the award offers challenges and teaches the children how to be safe and aware of others. All pupils receive a wide range of opportunities to develop socially and emotionally as well as academically through the scheme.
Over the two year programme pupils collect points on the Prior Award Passport to achieve either a Bronze, Silver or Gold award.